WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT
The Department of health
- Strategic leadership and funding for both health and social care in England.
- Ministerial department supported by 23 agencies and public bodies.
- An independent body.
- Sets priorities and directions of the NHS to improve health and care outcomes in England.
- Five Year Forward View sets out future vision for the NHS.
- Commissions and primary care services.
- Manages around £100 billion of the NHS budget.
- Allocates resources to Clinical commission Groups.
Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Clinically lead statutory NHS bodies responsible for commissioning care services in their areas.
- Members include GP’s, Nurses & other consultants.
- Responsible for 60% of the NHS budget.
- Commissions secondary care services.
- Both NHS England and CCGs have a duty to involve parents carers and the public in decisions.
Public Health England
- Co-ordinates a national public health service.
- Builds evidence to support local health services.
- Supports the public to make healthier choices.
- Provides leadership to the public health system.
- Supports the development of the Public Health Workforce.
Health & Wellbeing Boards
- Established by local authorities.
- Forum for local commissioners across the NHS.
- Increase local input into strategic decisions about health & wellbeing services.
- Strengthen relationships between health & social care.
- Encouraging integrated commissioning of health & social care services.
- National Institute for Health & Care Excellence.
- According to the NHS Website….. Helps Practices to deliver the best possible care.
- Give people the most effective treatment based on latest evidence.
- Provide value for money.
- Reduces inequalities and variation.
But wen does it hit the news?
When it is refusing to recommend drugs because of cost.
Care Quality Commission
- Independent regulator for health and social care
- Make sure services provide “safe, effective, compassionate and high quality care”.
- Services covered include: hospitals, dentists, GPs, Care Homes.
Protect the right of vulnerable people including those people whose rights are restricted under the Metal Health Act.
REVISE ON INTERNET
Secretary Of State For health
Quality Care Commision